Natural gas consists primarily of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. The energy industry is facing increased pressure from regulators and stakeholders to reduce methane emissions and must do so to remain competitive in a low-carbon future. Energy companies often go above and beyond regulatory requirements, which suggests that investing in methane reductions is sound business strategy. Meanwhile, there is a growing expectation to demonstrate low emissions through voluntary disclosure. This poses a challenge: methane emissions are invisible to the human eye and often unpredictable. How can you manage what you cannot measure?
Current and emerging methane detection and quantification technologies offer a staggering diversity of services and data products that cover many spatial and temporal resolution orders. They differ just as much in terms of sensitivity, survey speed, and cost. Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet solution, so understanding and selecting among these options can be a daunting task. To make matters worse, the competitive landscape is fierce, and no standards exist for comparing different solutions. Mechanisms for verifying performance are underdeveloped, so vendors are incentivized to overstate their value.
This course will overview the current state of methane measurement, giving participants the ability to clearly understand the value of different approaches for detecting and quantifying methane emissions. Participants will leave this course knowing whether to use methane measurement technologies and how to choose them.
Participants will leave this course with the ability to:
Discern among the full range of methane measurement technologies, including handheld instruments, satellites, and everything in between.
View claims about performance from vendors through a critical lens.
Navigate technology selection by understanding value proposition, relevant performance metrics and common pitfalls.
Understand existing and probable future regulatory measurement requirements
Weigh the pros and cons of Alternative LDAR (Alt-FEMPs) and demonstrating emissions reduction equivalence.
Understand the value of methane technology models like LDAR-Sim
Anticipate future opportunities for leveraging methane measurement data through voluntary disclosure and responsible gas certification.
Who should attend?
The course is recommended for anyone working in the energy sector seeking to benefit from rapidly evolving innovation in methane measurement. It does not require a strong technical background.
Specific target audiences are:
Environmental and regulatory energy sector employees who are tasked with emissions reduction efforts
Senior leadership who set the vision for their company and need good data to inform strategic decision making
Innovators and vendors of emerging methane measurement technologies
Regulators seeking to better understand emerging solutions
Service providers of LDAR exploring the use of new technologies
Date: January 11, 2022
Duration: 3 hours (PDH – 2.5)
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (MT)
Discounts: Special pricing is available for students and discounts also apply for multiple company registrations. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
See below for cancellation policy.
Thomas Fox, President, Highwood Emissions Management.
At Highwood, Thomas works with clients from the energy sector to design and implement and cost-effective emissions management strategies. His team specializes in emissions data analytics, abatement project planning & optimization, LDAR programs, methane measurement (including reconciliation), carbon markets, regulatory reporting, differentiated gas certifications, and voluntary disclosure (e.g., ESG reporting). With expertise in methane measurement and technology evaluation, Thomas also works with innovators and solution providers to build, demonstrate, and deploy new technologies. As the lead inventor of the open-source Leak Detection and Repair Simulator (LDAR-Sim), Thomas works with both technology and energy companies across North America to achieve regulatory approval for alternative LDAR programs. He completed a Ph.D. at the University of Calgary.
Notice of cancellation must be given in writing by email and action will be taken to recover, from the delegates or their employers, that portion of the fee owing at the time of cancellation.
A 10% administration fee will be levied for cancellations made two (2) or more weeks prior to the first day of the course. Thereafter, the following cancellation refund schedule will apply.
- Cancellation made less than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: no reimbursement of registration fees.
JWN Energy reserves the right to cancel an advertised course on short notice. It will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible, but will not accept liability for costs incurred by participants or their organizations as a result of the course being cancelled or postponed.
- Overview of learning objectives
- Scope of course
- What we know (and don’t know) about methane emissions
2. Measuring methane
- Why measure methane emissions?
- Detection, localization, and quantification
- Overview of sensing principles
- Spatial and temporal scales of measurement
3. Technology deployment styles
For each of the following, we will cover performance, cost, pros & cons, ideal use cases, and uptake by the O&G industry (both existing and projected).
- Handheld methods (OGI, EPA Method 21)
- Continuous (laser, in-plume, imaging)
- Aircraft (LiDAR, hyperspectral, CRDS)
- Vehicles (on pad, drive by, OTM33A)
- Drones (imaging, sniffing)
- Satellites (commercial, non-commercial)
4. Evaluating measurement systems
- Technologies vs. methods vs. programs
- Performance metrics (MDLs, uncertainty, etc.)
- Controlled release testing
- Modeling overview (LDAR-Sim, FEAST)
5. How to choose?
- Vendor diversity and competitive landscape
- Barriers to adoption for alternative solutions
- Discerning hype from results
- Is it worth the money?
6. Measurement regulations in O&G
a) Conventional LDAR (Canada and the United States)
b) Alternative LDAR and equivalence
7. The future of methane measurement
- Anticipated regulatory landscape
- The role of measurement in disclosure
- RSG certification and reporting standards
- Anticipated innovation trajectories
By completing/passing this course, you will attain the certificate JWN Learning Certificate of Completion
TERMS OF SERVICE
This website and all sub-sites, media, interactive applications, and associated services (collectively “Services”) are created, provided or operated by JWN Media, a geoLOGIC company or any of its affiliates (“JWN”). Use of these Services and any of the data, information, software, maps and other information available through the Service (collectively "Products") is governed by these Terms of Service (“TOS”) set out below. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT & AGREE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO ACCESS THIS SITE OR USE THE PRODUCTS.
Important Note: All prices listed are displayed in USD
Payment - If the registrant selects payment by credit card, then he/she authorizes JWN to execute the necessary transaction in USD with the credit card information provided.
Notice Regarding Access
Please read the following TOS in its entirety. Your access to and use of any Services provided or operated by JWN is conditional upon your acceptance of the following TOS. The terms of the TOS are in addition to the standard terms of services provided on the agreement between you and JWN pursuant to which you gained access to the Services. In the event of an inconsistency between the TOS and any other terms of services between you and JWN, JWN may choose, in its sole discretion and from time to time, which provision or interpretation will take precedence. If you do not wish to accept the TOS, you may not access or use the Services.
JWN reserves the right to amend, remove or add to the TOS at any time. If we deem any change to the TOS material, we will provide notice by e-mail. We may not provide any notice for changes to the TOS that we deem immaterial. Your continued access or use of the Services after modifications have been made to the TOS will constitute your irrevocable acceptance of the TOS, as modified. Any terms and conditions proposed by you which are in addition to or which conflict with the TOS are expressly rejected by JWN and shall be of no force and effect.
- You represent and warrant that you have read and understand the TOS in its entirety, and that you agree to be bound by the TOS.
Accounts and Use
- You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your username and password used to access the Services. You shall immediately notify JWN of any known or suspected unauthorized use(s) of your account, or any known or suspected breach of security, including loss, theft, or unauthorized disclosure of your password or credit card information. You are fully responsible for all usage and activity on your account, including, but not limited to, use of the account by any third party authorized by you to use your username and password. You agree you will not sell, transfer or assign your use of the Services or account information. If the computer system on which you accessed the Services is sold or transferred to another party, you warrant and represent that you will delete all cookies and software files obtained by or through use of the Services. JWN reserves the right to terminate your account, in its sole discretion, at any time without notice. If we disable your account, you agree that you will not create another one without our permission. You may terminate a specific account used to access the Services at any time by contacting us. Upon termination, you will receive a confirmation via e-mail that the request was received, and your account will be terminated within five (5) business days. Notwithstanding anything else herein, JWN reserves the right to pursue any and all claims against any user of your account.
- You may not use the Services for any illegal purpose, for the facilitation of the violation of any law or regulation, or in any manner inconsistent with the TOS. You agree to use the Service solely for your own non-commercial use and benefit, and not for resale or other transfer or disposition to, or use by or for the benefit of, any other person or entity. You agree not to use, transfer, distribute, or dispose of any information contained in the Services in any manner that could compete with the business of JWN or any of its suppliers.
- Except as expressly permitted by JWN in advance and in writing you may not copy, reproduce, recompile, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, distribute, publish, display, perform, modify, upload to, create derivative works from, transmit, transfer, sell, license, upload, edit post, frame, link, or in any way exploit any part of the Services, except that you may download material from the Services and/or make one print copy for your own personal, non-commercial use, provided that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices. You may not recirculate, redistribute or publish the analysis and presentation included in the Services without JWN’s prior written consent. Nothing contained in the TOS or on this site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, any license or right to use any Services in any manner without the prior written consent of JWN or such third party that may own the Services or intellectual property displayed on this site. Unauthorized use, copying, reproduction, modification, publication, republication, uploading, framing, downloading, posting, transmitting, distributing, duplicating or any other misuse of any of the service is strictly prohibited. Any use of the Services other than as permitted by the TOS will violate the TOS and may infringe upon our rights or the rights of the third party that owns the affected Service. You agree to report to us any violation of the TOS by others that you become aware of.
- You may not offer any part of the Services for sale or distribute it over any other medium including but not limited to over-the-air television or radio broadcast, a computer network or hyperlink framing on the internet without the prior written consent of JWN. The Services and the information contained therein may not be used to construct a database of any kind. Nor may the Services be stored (in its entirety or in any part) in databases for access by you or any third party or to distribute any database services containing all or part of the Services. You may not use the Services in any way to improve the quality of any data sold or contributed by you to any third party.
- You may not use any of the trademarks, trade names, service marks, copyrights, or logos of JWN in any manner which creates the impression that such items belong to or are associated with you or are used with JWN consent, and you acknowledge that you have no ownership rights in and to any of such items.
- You may not interfere with, attempt to interfere or otherwise disrupt the proper working of the Services, any activities conducted on or through the Services or any servers or networks connected to the Services. You shall not violate the security of the Services or attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Services, data, materials, information, computer systems or networks connected to any server associated with the Services, through hacking, password timing or any other means. You may not take nor attempt any action that, in the sole discretion of JWN, imposes or may impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load or burden on the Services or the infrastructure of the Services. You shall not use or attempt to use any “scraper,” “robot,” “bot,” “spider,” “data mining,” “computer code,” or any other automate device, program, tool, algorithm, process or methodology to access, acquire, copy, or monitor any portion of the Services, any data or content found on or accessed through the Services, or any other service information without the prior express written consent of JWN. You may not forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any other content.
- You do not acquire any rights or licenses in or to the Services and materials contained within the Services other than the limited right to utilize the Services in accordance with the TOS. Should you choose to download content from the Services, you must do so in accordance with the TOS. Such download is licensed to you by JWN only for your own personal, non-commercial use in accordance with the TOS and does not transfer any other rights to you.
- The Services, and all of the content it contains, or may in the future contain, including but not limited to text, content, photographs, video, audio and graphics, goods, designs, information, applications, software, music, audio files, articles, directories, guides, photographs as well as the trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress, copyrights, logos, domain names, code, patents and/or any other form of intellectual property, are owned by or licensed by JWN or other third parties and are protected from any unauthorized use, copying and dissemination by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, international treaties, and/or other proprietary rights and laws of Canada and other countries. All individual articles, columns and other elements making up the Services are copyrighted works. You agree to abide by all applicable copyright and other laws, as well as any additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in the Services. You acknowledge that the Services have been developed, compiled, prepared, revised, selected, and arranged by JWN and its affiliates and subsidiaries and others (including certain other information sources) through the application of methods and standards of judgment developed and applied through the expenditure of substantial time, effort, and money and constitutes valuable intellectual property of JWN. You agree to protect the proprietary rights of JWN and all others having rights in the Services during and after the term of this agreement and to comply with all reasonable written requests made by JWN or its suppliers and licensors of content, equipment, or otherwise (“Suppliers”) to protect their and others’ contractual, statutory, and common law rights in the Services. You agree to notify JWN in writing promptly upon becoming aware of any unauthorized access or use of the Services by any individual or entity or of any claim that the Services infringes upon any copyright, trademark, or other contractual, statutory, or common law rights. All present and future rights in and to trade secrets, patents, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, know-how, and other proprietary rights of any type under the laws of any governmental authority, domestic or foreign, including rights in and to all applications and registrations relating to the Services (the “Intellectual Property Rights”) shall, as between you and JWN, at all times be and remain the sole and exclusive property of JWN. All present and future rights in and title to the Services (including the right to exploit the Services and any portions of the Services over any present or future technology) are reserved to JWN for its exclusive use. Except as specifically permitted by the TOS, you may not copy or make any use of the Services or any portion thereof. Except as specifically permitted herein, you shall not use the Intellectual Property Rights or the Services, or the names of any individual participant in, or contributor to, the Services, or any variations or derivatives thereof, for any purpose, without JWN’s prior written approval.
- You agree that your use of the Services is at your sole risk and acknowledge that the Services and anything contained within the Services, including, but not limited to, content, services, goods, or advertisements are provided “as is” and “as available,” and that JWN makes no warranty of any kind, express or implied, as to the Services, including, but not limited to, merchantability, non-infringement, title, or fitness for a particular purpose or use or those arising by statute or otherwise in law from a course of dealing or usage of trade. JWN does not warrant that the availability of or the functionality of the Services will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or other harmful components or that this site, the Services or server do not violate any patent or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. JWN does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the Services in terms of their correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise. you (and not JWN) assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing, repair, or correction. applicable law may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not fully apply to you
- JWN does not warrant that the Services are compatible with your equipment or that the Services, or any communication sent by JWN or its representative, is free of errors or viruses, worms or “Trojan horses,” or any other harmful, invasive, or corrupted files, and JWN is not liable for any damage you may suffer as a result of such destructive features. You agree that JWN and its Suppliers, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives, successors, and assigns shall have no responsibility or liability for: (i) any injury or damages, whether caused by the negligence of JWN, its parent, or their respective affiliates, Suppliers, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives, general partner, subsidiaries, successors, and assigns, or otherwise arising in connection with the Services and shall not be liable for any lost profits, losses, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any claim against JWN by any other party; or (ii) any fault, inaccuracy, omission, delay, or any other failure in the Services caused by your computer equipment or arising from your use of the Services on such equipment. The content of other websites, services, goods, or advertisements (“Third Party Sites”) that may be linked to the Services are not maintained or controlled by JWN. Our provision of links to Third Party Sites is for convenience only and is not an endorsement of any information, product or service that is offered on or reached through such Third-Party Site. JWN is not responsible for the availability, content, or accuracy of websites, services, or goods that may be linked to, or advertised on, the Services. JWN does not: (a) make any warranty, express or implied, with respect to the use of the links provided on, or to, the Services; (b) guarantee the accuracy, completeness, usefulness or adequacy of any other websites, services, goods, or advertisements that may be linked to the Services; or (c) make any endorsement, express or implied, of any other websites, services, goods, or advertisements that may be linked to the Services. If you decide to leave this site and access the Third-Party Sites, you do so at your own risk, and you should be aware that our terms and policies no longer govern. JWN is also not responsible for the reliability or continued availability of the telephone lines, wireless services, communications media, and equipment you use to access the Services. You understand that JWN and/or third-party contributors to the Services may choose at any time to inhibit or prohibit their content from being accessed under the TOS.
- You acknowledge that: (i) the Services are provided for information purposes only and are not intended for trading purposes; (ii) the Services may include certain information taken from stock exchanges and other sources from around the world; (iii) JWN does not guarantee the sequence, accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the Service or any information, facts, views, opinions, statements or recommendations contained on this site and/or the Services; (iv) the provision of certain parts of the Services is subject to the terms and conditions of other agreements to which JWN is a party; (v) none of the information contained on this site constitutes a solicitation, offer, opinion, endorsement or recommendation by JWN to buy or sell any security, or to provide legal, tax, accounting, or investment advice or services regarding the profitability or suitability of any security or investment; and (vi) the information provided on this site is not intended for use by, or distribution to, any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such use or distribution would be contrary to law or regulation. Accordingly, anything to the contrary herein set forth notwithstanding, JWN, its Suppliers, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives, successors, and assigns shall not, directly or indirectly, be liable, in any way, to you or any other person for any: (a) inaccuracies or errors in or omissions from the Services including, but not limited to, quotes and financial data; (b) delays, errors, or interruptions in the transmission or delivery of the Services; or (c) loss or damage arising therefrom or occasioned thereby, or by any reason of non-performance.
- Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall JWN, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, suppliers, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives, successors, licensors or assigns be liable to you or any third person for damages of any kind, whether based in tort, contract, strict liability or otherwise, including, without limitation, any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special, punitive, or exemplary damages even if JWN has been advised specifically of the possibility of such damages, arising in any way from or in connection with this site, the service, use of or inability to use the service or any links or items on the service or any provision of the TOS, such as, but not limited to, loss of revenue or anticipated profits or lost business. Applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or incidental or consequential damages. In no event shall JWN’s total liability to you for all damages, losses and causes of action (whether in contract or tort, including but not limited to, negligence) exceed the amount paid by you, if any, for accessing the Services within the previous six-month period before the claim for such damage, loss or cause of action arose.
- The TOS does not create any agency, partnership or joint venture between JWN and you. This TOS will ensure for the benefit of the parties and their permitted assigns.
- The TOS shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. Users irrevocably consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts in the province of Alberta in any action or proceeding arising out of or relating to access to the site and use of any of the Products and these Terms of Service. All provisions hereof shall survive any lapse or termination of your use of the Services or your dealings with JWN
Your cart is empty